The University of Scranton's Freshman Orientation


Video : Freshman Orientation at U of S

The University of Scranton welcomed incoming freshman Monday morning at orientation, the 1st official act of the university's new president, Reverend Kevin Quinn. He and hundreds of new students are excited at the prospects of the growing university.

More than 2 hundred new University of Scranton students packed the Denaples Center for their freshman orientation. Touring the campus they are learning all about the place they will call home for the next 4 years.

freshman Jake Rand of Connecticut said, "When I came to Scranton there's so much to do, 1st of all, so it is a lot to take in, but then also because I came from a Catholic high school, it really just all came together and I felt very much at home here."

Incoming freshman Nick Tallo said, "I want to meet some new friends maybe, just get to know some people, get to know the campus, so when I get here in August, I am not just lost." Tallo added also, "I am really excited for the science center because I am looking at environmental probably. So I am really exciting to get in there and learn in that new environment, and I am really excited for these new apartments. They look really nice from what they have shown us and there's a new dining center and the new fitness center which will be nice."

There's another new freshman in town, the university's 25th president, Reverend Kevin Quinn is coming from Santa Clara University in California.

Reverend Quinn said, "I have been at the job one week and this is my 1st official duty to welcome these 1st year students, so I find it very exciting. So we are beginning this adventure together." Reverend Quinn also said, "It is always a healthy sign that a university is expanding, but it needs to be attentive to its neighbors as it expands. Town gown relations are very important to me. I think our relations with the city are something I will be very attentive to."

As they tour the campus again, the freshman is seeing a lot of construction going on. Many students said they are excited for what all the projects will mean for their education.

With all these buildings expanding further into Scranton, some members of city council want the university to increase the monetary donations it pays instead of taxes.

Students said they are looking forward to getting to know each other and the city.

Comments

Popular Posts