American Colony’s Happy Independence Day



This is the 235th anniversary of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence America. On July 4, 1776, the American colonies of New England declared themselves to be a sovereign nation separate from Great Britain.

To people around the United States of America, the holiday means quite different things. To young children, it typically means fireworks, parades and a whole lot of fun. To older Americans, the picture can get a little more complicated. Military veterans often view it as a day to honor their fallen comrades in arms, as well as a day to celebrate the freedoms represented in the U.S. Constitution.

To many of the workers of the nation, aside from other, perhaps loftier considerations, it is a guaranteed 3 day weekend. For politicians, it is a perfect day for kissing babies and making rousing patriotic speeches.

For businesses throughout the country, it is a day of high expectations, as people can be counted upon to hit the road and do their part to keep American commerce humming. The Post Independent, in recognition of the day and its importance in so many ways, reached out to a smattering of the region's residents to ask two questions:

> What are your favorite 4th of July traditions?
> What does the holiday mean to you in a general, perhaps deeper, sense?


Their answers are below:

Bill Dodds Scott, 85, Glenwood Springs, retired: “One thing, it is my birthday. 4th of July means quite a bit to me. I like the fireworks. It is a good day.

“4th of July, of course, was the independence of the United States and everything, and that means a lot to me. It is a great country. I have been around a little bit, of course, and this is the best country in the world, and Colorado is the tops.”

Tara Meixsell, 50, New Castle, writer and teacher: “Baking cherry pie and making potato salad. To be honest, I often do not go out to public events, having to work. But it is a time for me to relax and kick back and takes time for, what to me, is traditional foods. The cherry pie thing started in college, because we had a huge cherry tree out back.

“I am from Sudbury, Mass., and that was very much in the area where the American Revolution was born. So, being a kid, it was very patriotic. My brother was in the fife and drum corps, we were all very patriotic.”

4th of July is about “just trying to be a country, trying to stay together as a country. It is about the country, and feeling like you are at home no matter where you are.”

Dave Moore, 71, mayor of Silt, developer: “Traditionally, we have family over, and that will be no different this year. We are having my son and daughter-in-law, and my 2 grandchildren.

“Also, we like to go to Ouray to see the festivities down there. I think it is a beautiful little town. They call it Little Switzerland, and it is a nice place to go on a little tour without having to spend a lot of money.”

4th of July “means the freedoms, the liberty we've had to enjoy here in America. It is time to reflect on what a great country we have in America, what it means to each one of us.”

Anne Jolley, property management, and rancher: “Our traditions are getting together with friends and family, just watching fireworks, celebrating the birth of America and celebrating how lucky we are to be Americans.”

Frank Breslin, 58, mayor of New Castle cabinet maker: “My traditions are weeding whacking, lawn mowing, and trying to get out and do a nice walk with my wife, because everybody's gone. People leave for the weekend.”

“Independence Day makes me consider my duty, what I owe to my country, because my life is fortunate and blessed. It makes me want to be a more dedicated American, to do my part to support my country. I admire the Minute Men, the people who were ready to respond at a moment's notice to a crisis.

“As a kid, I used to love fireworks, but I would like to see people lose their need for the fireworks displays, because in this country it is too dangerous.”

Judith Hayward, 69, mayor pro-tem of Parachute, full time volunteer: “I always think about the flag, and make sure I hang it up outside. In the past, when I was closer to family, it was always picnics and just the family getting together, having fun, baseball, croquet, those kinds of games.

“I am proud to be an American, and I think the 4th of July is the United States' celebration of independence and democracy. I was just watching on TV, they were talking about immigrants who were being made citizens of the U.S. I just thought there are a lot of people that are happy to be accepted into the United States, so that also reminds me about the 4th of July.”

Keith Lambert, 62, mayor of Rifle, retired teacher: “The tradition varies, because in a lot of instances we have been out of town for the 4th. When we are in town, we certainly avail ourselves of the local fireworks, sometimes a barbecue goes with that, getting together with friends, just enjoying the companionship of friends and neighbors and family.

“My best friend growing up, his birthday was on the 4th of July, and we referred to him as the Freedom Baby. When I was a kid we used to go swimming on the 4rth every year (in backyard pools in Tucson), and he was a big part of that, and it is carried on even though we are not together any more.

“It is a celebration of our country's independence, the ability to be with family and friends and to celebrate the freedoms that we do have.”

Mim Hubbard, 78, Glenwood Springs, retired dental hygienist: “My tradition was eating watermelon. We always went to my grandmother's house, and she always had watermelon. That was in Pittsburgh, growing up.”

4th of July “means to me fireworks at night, and sparklers you can hold in your hand, hot dogs and hamburgers, and putting the flag up for everybody to see. When I lived in Pittsburgh I went to a parade every 4th of July.”

Carleton Hubbard, 81, Glenwood Springs, retired from the title insurance business: “When I was a little boy, we lived down on Colorado Avenue, and at that time you could use any kind of fireworks that you wanted.

“It was kind of a neighborhood tradition, everybody’s get out there in the middle of the street, there was no traffic in those days, and set of all kinds of fountains, and firecrackers, whatever you could want. And people in the other parts of town would do the same.

“Our moms would make cakes and pies and ice cream. Later on, we would go to Woods Lake and go fishing, and our mom would sit off to the side and read a book.

“I very much cherish my freedom, my liberties, and I respect everybody who has either fought or has in some way made an effort to save our freedoms. I served myself, and I think the 4th of July is a proper way to honor those people. When you look around the world, we ought to be so thankful about we have got the freedoms that we do have.”

Bonnie Fischer, 69, Carbondale, teacher: “I think that the favorite tradition was the family picnic and the community kid’s parade.

“I like to think America's a great place to live and to raise children, to be a part of it all.”

Will Granbois, 20, Carbondale, student, webmaster: “Sure, there are the diehard patriots, but a Carbondale 4th doesn't really cater to them.

“The 4th of July is really a holiday for the kids. Of course, the occasional family and ubiquitous barbecue appeals to all ages, but children get the best deal. It gives them a chance to dress up and parade down Main Street, free watermelon in the park, and a brilliant fireworks display at night (well, most years). It is summer in a nutshell, really.

“It does not hold the same charm as a so-called adult, but I will never miss the parade if I can help it. You have got to have the crowd there, and someday, with luck, it will be my kids riding their bikes with red, white, and blue streamers.”

John Scalzo, 87, Rifle, retired businessman: “My wife used to have a family picnic, and then we would watch the 4th fireworks, and everything else stopped, that was it. Used to be I went to the 4th of July golf tournament, which I started in, oh, let's see, 1966 or something like that. Then there was the Elks Lodge. We had a pit and we barbecued a pig, and we had a big celebration. We're having it again this year.

“The 4th of July is basically in honor of the past history of the United States, and of the military and all that kind of stuff. A lot of people disregard it. They go on picnics and boat trips; they very seldom go to a memorial or a cemetery to honor those who went before them, thinking more of their own recreation than why we are here today.”

Marian Perregaux, 82, Carbondale, retired teacher, day care administrator: “Hot dogs, family get together and feeling pride in being fortunate enough to live in this country.

“I think that we started out on a good premise, and we've still got a long way to go, but we will get there. There are still a lot of flaws in our country, but we will figure out how to fix them sooner or later.”

Comments

Popular Posts